5 Reasons – Taking Calculated Risks in Business Is Essential
One of the main reasons for the entrepreneurs failing to make big in the business is that a lot of them are risk averse which means that they are scared of taking any risks in the businesses. Most of the business owners or the entrepreneurs have good to great business ideas but they simply grow into businesses because the individuals fail to take the desired risk. It is evident that businesses are exposed to a certain degree o risk which are beyond our control. As astute businessmen, one can only take preventive measures to avoid these risks and prepare themselves to deal with them if they have to face them at any point in time.
This, if you are looking to get into a business venture, you will be required to take a certain degree of risk no matter what. If one would look at the history of the successful businesses they would come to know that almost all the businesses started at some point of time and it is then that the business owners took calculated risks related to the business which led to their growth over a period of time.
Let us look at the reasons as to why business owners should take some amount of risk:
01. Getting into a business venture itself is a risky affair. This is attributed to the fact that there are multiple factors which decide the fate of the business venture. There are some factors which can be controlled but certain factors like the government policies, financial market conditions, demand and supply situation are beyond the control of the businessmen and they are going to affect the businesses anyways. In order to succeed, one has to take calculated risks and keep themselves updated with the latest development across the globe so as to prepare themselves to fight the business challenges that come their way. In fact the degree of preparedness of the individual businesses to meet the business exigencies decides the amount of success which they are supposed to get in the long term.
02. The selection of the employees matters a lot when one looks at the way the business will perform. While an entrepreneur selects a resource to provide their services to the business organization, they are mainly relying on the experience of these individuals which they have gained over the years. All this in no ways guarantees that the employees would prove to be the right fit for the job they are hired. It again means that the hiring decision involves a fair amount of risk. The business success will depend on how well you assess the risks and take your decisions.
03. Advertising the products and services offered by the enterprise requires a lot of efforts and money. Whether the products will sell or they will fail to perform cannot be ascertained in advance and hence involves a certain degree of risk.
04. When it comes to the funding requirements, businesses may require to take loans. Getting these loans is not that tough but if one looks at the repayment of the same, there is a fair amount of risk involved. Businesses base their loan repayment plan on the basis of the business performance which is never certain. If the businesses do well, it becomes easier for the entrepreneurs to repay their loans. However, in case the businesses fail to perform as expected, the repayment of the loans becomes an issue. Since most of the business loans involve a large amount, the lenders prefer to give secured business loans for people with poor credit. In case of non-payment of the loans, the lenders have the right to repossess the assets kept as collateral and they can also sell them to recover the loan amount.
05. Most of the times, businesses are run in a partnership model. There is a certain amount of risk involved in this too. There are a lot of business partners who act as silent partners and the other partner is required to take all the decisions. This can lead to disputes which can hamper the business performance.
There is hardly any business decision which does not involve risks. Every business is directed towards a goal. If you are an astute business owner, you will always be ready to take calculated risks with a backup plan in case the decisions do not shape up as expected.